The 2nd Official Battle flag was adopted May 1st, 1863 replacing the First Battle flag. This flag was also known as the "Southern Cross" as the canton on a white field. This flag was easily mistaken for a white surrender flag, especially when the air was calm and the flag hung limply.
This 3 x 5 ft. 2nd Battle flag is made of heavyweight SolarGuard nylon, finished with two rows of stitching on top and bottom, four rows on the fly end, and has a canvas header with brass grommets. Made in the U.S.A.