Connecticut's Flag History
On May 29, 1895, over 100 years after Connecticut had become one of the thirteen original colonies, Governor O. William Coffin introduced the first proposal for a state flag to the Connecticut General Assembly. That same day, the Assembly passed a resolution appointing a special committee to prepare specifications for a flag that, though unofficial, was already generally accepted as the state flag.
The General Assembly of 1897 made it official. The flag was to measure five feet, six inches long and four feet, four inches wide. The field was to be azure blue silk, the armorial bearing in argent white silk. The design was specified to be in natural colors with the border of the shield embroidered in gold and silver. A white streamer rests below the shield, cleft at each end and bordered in golds and browns. The motto of the state of Connecticut is lettered in dark blue on the streamer. It reads Qui Transtulit Sustinet (He who transplanted still sustains).
Inspired by a memorial from the Anna Warner Bailey Chapter of the daughters of the American Revolution, Governor O. Vincent Coffin, on May 29, 1895, introduced to the General Assembly the first proposal for the adoption of a State Flag. On that same day the Assembly passed a resolution appointing a special committee to prepare a designation of the flag already generally accepted as the official flag of the state.
The General Assembly of 1897 provided an official description of the flag setting the dimensions at five feet, six inches in length and four feet, four inches in width, of azure blue silk, with the armorial bearings in argent white silk with the design in natural colors and border of the shield embroidered in gold and silver. Below the shield there is a white streamer, cleft at each end, bordered in gold and browns, the streamer bearing in dark blue the motto "Qui Transtulit Sustinet".
Clink here to the Connecticut State Historical Society for facts, figures, and history of Connecticut.